Tuesday, January 30, 2018

An Amazing Amazon Experience – But It Didn’t Start That Way

We’ve all heard the stories about Amazon. The service is exceptional. The employees love their jobs. The company sells everything except the Moon. But can any company really be everything positive? Well, I have a story that just might convince you that the answer to that question is yes.

Like many brand-loyal consumers, I often place orders from online retailers. Sometimes, I shop from a specific retailer, and other times, I buy from Amazon. When it comes to books, though, I always go directly to Amazon.com. 


Last December, I placed an order for four books from Amazon. The four books included a non-fiction book for one family member, one fiction book for another family member, and two fiction books for another family member. The genres were different, so it was possible that Amazon might have needed more than one shipment to complete my order.

Two weeks passed, and two of the fiction books arrived. Since the new year had just started, I forgot about the remaining two books. Two more weeks passed. There were no more packages from Amazon – and even stranger, no emails nor communications of any kind indicating that anything was amiss.

Six weeks after my order, I checked the order status on Amazon’s website and learned that “Your package may be lost.” This language was noted for both of the missing books. I wondered, why hadn’t Amazon contacted me? But odder still, if Amazon suspected that my package containing two books was lost, why hadn’t a replacement package been sent?

I wrote to Amazon indicating that my two books had never arrived and, upon checking my order status, saw Amazon’s note that “Your package may be lost.” I asked for assistance. Less than six hours later, I received the following message:

I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t receive your two books. This usually doesn’t happen. To make things right, I’ve created a replacement for the missing items at no additional charge with the fastest shipping method possible (one-day shipping with no extra cost). Here is your tracking number (included). However, if in case you want a full refund instead, let us know. To make up for the inconvenience, I’ve issued a $5 promotional certificate to your Amazon.com account, which will automatically apply the next time you order an item sold and shipped by Amazon.com. It is our privilege to have you as our valued customer and would like to thank you for your continued support. We look forward to a very warm and fruitful association with you. Have a nice day.

Let’s recap: Amazon’s employees acknowledged that two books had apparently been lost in shipment. They ordered replacement books on my behalf. They did not charge me for the replacement books. They coordinated quick shipment – and the books arrived within 24 hours of my initial email. And, they provided a $5 gift certificate for a future purchase.

Amazon employees did not have to check high up the food chain for approval to handle my situation. They did not send numerous emails asking for proof that my books had not arrived. They did not waffle on how to resolve the situation. I am a repeat customer and only wanted the books that I had ordered.

Talk about an amazing customer experience! Amazon, I will buy from you any day!


Image Credit: Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!